Let’s face it, moving is stressful, even when it is an exciting or positive change. So much goes into a move, and keeping track of all the details can be challenging. Whether you’re moving across the street or across the country, you end up learning things you wish you had known beforehand. We’re here to help make the process easier for you. Here are ten tips to keep in mind before you move.
1. The first step is to purge. The worst thing you can do is waste your time and money packing and moving items you no longer need or want. If you’re downsizing to a much smaller space, be reasonable with what you’re bringing with you. It’s never too soon to start purging!
2. Call in the experts. If you’re hiring a professional moving company, get quotes from multiple companies. If you’re traveling out of the state or country, make sure your moving company will go the distance.
3. Take a detailed inventory. This includes numbered boxes of everything being moved, so if the boxes are moved from one truck to another, you can confirm that everything ends up in the right place. Check off each box as it goes from your current living space to the moving truck. When you arrive at your new home, check off each box as it moves in.
4. Box delivery? Check to see if your moving company delivers packing boxes beforehand to give you one fewer chore to run during the moving madness.
5. Go green. Looking to save some money while being eco-friendly? Ask your moving company if they sell recycled or used boxes for a discounted price. Most of them do.
6. Choose a labeling system. Stick with it and be consistent. Labeling can include a color-specific index card with your last name, box contents, and the room. If you’re keeping a detailed inventory, make sure to include the box number on the label as well.
7. Use a color-coding system.This is especially handy if boxes are going to multiple places (summer house, donation center, storage). Different colored index cards taped to the outside of your boxes can indicate their destination so you don’t mix up boxes (green=summer house, yellow=donation, red=storage).
8. Pre-pack before the movers arrive.If this interests you, check out some How-To Videos from our friends at Olympia Moving & Storage.
9. Mark boxes you’ll need immediately. We usually label these boxes “FIRST NIGHT,” and they include items like cleaning supplies, toiletries, and fresh sheets. Make sure these boxes are the last packed onto the truck, because they will be the first ones off. You can also put them in your own car to make the process even easier.
10. Pack a suitcase with first night essentials.The last thing you want is to show up with no pajamas for the night or fresh clothes for the morning!
Moving doesn’t have to be so painful. The trick is to get a head start as soon as possible and follow these tips to get going. Now pack up your fears and anxieties, and get moving!